Pages

Monday, June 20, 2011

Beer of the week: Saison Dupont

Beer score: 7.9
Web site: Brasserie Dupont
ABV: 6.5
IBU: unknown
This beer from Belgium almost always draws very high marks on various brew review websites, and while I give it fairly high marks myself, I didn't feel it was so great or so unique. Don't get me wrong, this is a solid beer. Your Budweiser friends will be at a loss if they tried a Saison Dupont. But the flavor and texture here was nothing unexpected and nothing all that complex or unusual. If you like a traditional Belgian ale, you can't get more traditional or normal than this. On the plus side, several people have told me this beer has a skunky odor to it (which is common among beers in green bottles), but I have to say I did not experience any of that. Very earthy without being thick on the tongue, with early hints of fruitiness that die away swiftly to be replaced by a cool bitterness. Has a nice head. This is a bottle fermented brew and a top-fermented brew. By the way, a "saison" traditionally is a beer somewhat similar to a pale ale but with a low-alcohol level; historically this beer was brewed and fermented in farmhouses in Belgium and possibly some parts of France and served to farmworkers.

No comments:

Post a Comment